Friday, April 10, 2015

On some big changes...

I’m not sure how much you, my lovely audience (like 3 people and my parents) know about what’s going on right now with oil prices. I am sure everyone has noticed the drop in gas prices. On the other side of that drop is the layoffs. There’s been news stories about it, major service companies laying off thousands and thousands of people globally. While for most people this has been nothing more than a news story, for me it’s been my life for the past months. Watching friends leave, watching people have their lives change in a minute. It’s been difficult to witness, to say goodbye to so many friends and to stay behind in the environment of tension and fear. 

Two weeks ago it was my turn. Since I’ve been working in the office and I’m good at my job I was shielded from the first and second wave of lay offs. My superiors spent at least two months trying to transfer me to a location that could afford to keep me, but couldn’t find one. Most locations are trying to reduce staff, not increase it and my experience of only 7 months in the office didn’t help me. I’m very confident my boss did not want to lay me off and worked hard to fight for me. I’m not the first to leave and I already know that I’m not the last. Unfortunately this drop in prices will effect many, many more lives before things stabilize. 

For anyone wondering what comes next I can give a very general plan that changes about everyday. Big blue will be paying for to move my house of things back to Alaska or anywhere cheaper, which is like… anywhere in the US. Probably everything will end up in Houston in storage until I need it next. I’ve also been given a decent severance package and 3 months of free health care. The cost to break my lease should be covered, although that’s still being negotiated, something to be settled in this next week after everything is packed up. 

Once this is done, I’m planning on traveling in Mexico for a few weeks and getting the chance to see all the things I’ve been hearing about the past few years. I’ll be driving out towards Cancun and the Yucatan to explore around there. Next, Mexico City and the center of the country along with Guadalajara (and maybe even a repeat trip to Tequila!). I’ll be back in the US by June, spending time in Texas and hopefully Colorado before going up to Alaska. Over the summer I’m planning on applying for jobs, although I’m not expecting much to be available. I’ll also be studying for the GRE and taking that and applying for grad school to start in January. And that’s my short-ish and longish term plans. Subject to change according to my whims: the benefits of unemployment. 

After 3 and a half years of a job that has consumed my life, I find myself excited to take a break. I’ve found myself concerned these last few months about missing important things due to work; spending time with my Nana while she has time and quality of life left, my family vacation to Alaska, time to travel and relax and of course spending time with family and friends. All the sudden, having time to do all these things and more is a little overwhelming, but exciting. 

I’m grateful to big blue for the last three and half years. I’ve learned and grown, picked up another language and several valuable skills I plan to take to my next employer. I have been assured I’ll be getting a call when things get better, but I’ll have to decide if I want to take that call or not. It’s been an adventure, and one well worth living. Only time will tell if it’s worth repeating. 


I know many don’t understand exactly why I loved my job so much, but you understand the sense of loss I feel in no longer having it and I thank you for that. And if you’d like a visit on the Katie Mills summer tour or you want to come join me, you’re always welcome! 

1 comment:

  1. I would very much like a dinner with THE Ms. Katie Mills while on your journeys.

    ReplyDelete